UBI Global Presents The Top University Business Incubator And Accelerator World Rankings In London
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM – On November 25, UBI Global released the World Top University Business Incubator and Accelerator Rankings 2015. Live from Trafalgar Square in central London, UBI Global’s CEO, Ali Amin, announced the rankings through a broadcast streamed onubi-global.com.
On November 12, UBI Global hosted the last of its regional university business incubation awards of the year. The awards ceremony, which was held at EAN University in Bogotá, Colombia, recognized 16 High Impact Incubation Programs in Latin America.
The UBI Awards in Latin America was the fifth in a series of events that has seen the Swedish pioneers in measuring the performance of university business incubators from all over the world embark on an international tour between October 14 and November 12.
Kicking off in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia, UBI Global staged events in Taiwan, Italy and Canada before concluding in Columbia to award and highlight the top performing business incubators in every continent they rank and benchmark. On November 19, UBI Global announced the 3 High Impact Incubation Programs in Africa from their headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden via live web broadcast.
UBI Global provides their rankings and benchmarks of University Business Incubators and University Business Accelerators through a proper representation of worldwide incubation programs. This year the final participants were selected by assessing 1200 incubators after which over 340 from 64 countries were retained for the benchmark. All University Business Incubators and University Business Accelerators that took home awards at their regional level were short-listed to be recognized at the world rankings.
“The importance of discovering and identifying these top performing incubators is underlined by our studies, which show that top benchmarked incubators provide almost half of the total economic impact within the incubation market” says UBI Global CEO and Co-founder, Ali Amin.
He continues “Highlighting some of their best practices will help universities, governments, incubation agencies and corporations to improve the incubators they support.”
Insights: Top Incubators Are Three Times More Efficient
Our current research investigation highlights how top incubators manage to achieve outstanding results and the areas where an average incubator needs to improve its performance. Key results show the considerably high competence of top incubators, especially regarding their economic impact and service quality provided to their client startups. In this sense it should be noted that a top incubator and its client startups (on average) generate in excess of 1,200 jobs in the last five years, whereas an average incubator produces three times fewer jobs over the same period. That means that a top incubator is nearly three times more efficient in contributing to the economic growth of its corresponding ecosystem than an average incubator.
Furthermore, the average amount of funding attracted by the client startups of top incubators has reached to $68 million in last years which translates to two times more capital attracted as compared to their global peers. This performance is credited to a significantly larger investor network at top incubators, which is four times larger as compared to an average incubator.
Lastly, with regard to the capacity of top incubators to attract deal flow and to produce success stories, top incubators perform consistently better than an average incubator. A fact that corroborates this trend is reflected by the cumulated sales revenue of their client startups, which stands at $193M, nearly four times higher than the average incubators client startups.
Ali Amin concludes “University incubators are striving to become a global referent in an increasingly competitive sector where it is essential to understand what lays behind its complex ecosystem. For this reason, we pledge to provide them with the necessary tools and insights so they can overcome challenges and build a sustainable business incubation model.”
Top University Business Incubator
A Top University Business Incubator is an incubator managed or formal affiliated with a university, that provide better value for the ecosystem and their startup clients than their regional or global peers. They stand out from average-performing incubators with better outcomes on economy enhancement, access to funds and post incubation performance indicators.
Top University Business Accelerator
A Top University Business Accelerator is an accelerator managed or formal affiliated with a university, that provide better value for the ecosystem and their startup clients than their regional or global peers. They stand out from average-performing accelerators with better outcomes on economy enhancement, access to funds and post acceleration performance indicators.
World Rankings 2015
World Top 25 University Business Incubators:
- #1 SETsquared – Universities of Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Southampton, Surrey; United Kingdom
- #2 Innovation Incubation Center Chaoyang University of Technology – Chaoyang University of Technology; Taiwan
- #3 The DMZ at Ryerson University – Ryerson University; Canada
- #4 1871 – Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois, Loyola University, Illinois Institute of Technology, DeVry University; United States
- #5 PoliHub Startup District & Incubator – Polytechnic University of Milan; Italy
- #6 Innovate Calgary – University of Calgary; Canada
- #7 INiTS Universitäres Gründerservice Wien – Vienna University of Technology, University of Vienna; Austria
- #8 ATP Innovations – University of Sydney, Australian National University, The University of New South Wales, University of Technology Sydney; Australia
- #9 YES!Delft – Delft University of Technology; Netherlands
- #10 Uppsala Innovation Centre – Uppsala University, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences; Sweden
- #11 UtrechtInc – Utrecht University, University Medical Center Utrecht, University of Applied Sciences Utrecht; Netherlands
- #12 Huazhong University of Science and Technology National Science Park – Huazhong University of Science and Technology; China
- #13 Instituto Genesis PUC-Rio – Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro; Brazil
- #14 Business-Incubator of National Research University Higher School of Economics – National Research University, Higher School of Economics; Russia
- #15 National Taiwan University Innovation Incubation Center – National Taiwan University; Taiwan
- #16 TEC Edmonton – University of Alberta; Canada
- #17 Instituto Internacional para la Innovación Empresarial (3IE) – Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María; Chile
- #18 ITU SEED (ITU CEKIRDEK) – Istanbul Technical University; Turkey
- #19 China Agricultural University National University Science Park – China Agricultural University; China
- #20 Hefei National University Science Park – Hefei University of Science and Technology, Anhui University, University of Science and Technology of China; China
- #21 National Taiwan University of Science and Technology Business Incubation Center – National Taiwan University of Science and Technology; Taiwan
- #22 BLC3 Incubadora – University of Coimbra, University of Minho, School of Technology and Management of Oliveira do Hospital, University of Beira Interior, University Nova Lisbon, Catholic University of Portugal; Portugal
- #23 Parque Tecnológico de la Salud de Granada (PTS Granada) – University of Granada; Spain
- #24 Chrysalis – Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Valparaiso; Chile
- #25 Instituto Pedro Nunes (IPN) – Universidade do Coimbra; Portugal
World Top 10 University Business Accelerators:
- #1 Entrepreneuriat Laval – Laval University; Canada
- #2 NDRC – Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, Dublin City University, Institute of Art, Design & Technology, National College of Art & Design; Ireland
- #3 MassChallenge – Boston University, Northeastern University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute; United States
- #4 iMinds – Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Ghent University, University of Antwerp, Hasselt University, Vrije Universiteit Brussel; Belgium
- #5 Startup-accelerator iDealMachine – Saint Petersburg State University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics; Russia
- #6 Knowbel Incubator – University of Modena and Reggio Emilia; Italy
- #7 Center of Industry Accelerator and Patent Strategy – National Chiao Tung University; Taiwan
- #8 Melbourne Accelerator Program – University of Melbourne; Australia
- #9 ITESM Accelerator Network – Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education; Mexico
- #10 m:lab East Africa – University of Nairobi; Kenya
In case you missed the live broadcast of the Top University Business Incubator and Accelerator World Rankings you can watch a recording of the broadcast in the link as below:
For more information please contac:
An Nguyen-Johansson, Director of Operations, email@example.com